Wednesday, August 1, 2007

She's a 7th Grader!

The 7th grade transition banquet was last night. Everything went smoothly, and there were a LOT of kids there. There are some kids that I have never seen before!

When we got out of the car at the church, Kat commented, "Wow, this is weird! this is the first time I am coming to one of these when it is actually for ME!" She was so excited! I was excited for her. It is still a little strange to realize I have a child that old. I'm looking forward to much fun to come though...and I see potential for some great new relationships for her, and for improving on old ones.

Kearsdad asked me last night if I was sad at all. No. I'm really not. I guess part of it is that I know what to expect. I am not, like some moms, dealing with an unknown. I think that helps a lot. I know the students, I know the adults, I know exactly what she'll be doing and what will be expected of her. And I know Kearsdad and I will be along for the ride. I think that is the most exciting part...looking forward to going through it with her. We are blessed, because she is looking forward to going through it with us as well. There are a lot of kids her age who don't feel that way, who don't want mom and dad around. I am so glad she isn't one of those kids.

So...we are one step closer to the completion of this transition. I'll admit, it felt a little weird to me too. When Boss ended last night by asking parents to stand behind their student and put their hands on them as he prayed for them, I had to remember, "Oh yeah, he means us!" Cool.

5 comments:

Kearsmom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kearsmom said...

Well, they are off...loaded onto 3 church vans, a Suburban and two personal vans...one church van pulling a trailer and one personal van pulling a jetski.

I am really jealous. I want to go. It is going to be WAY fun. Sometimes it's no fun being a good mom.

note...I couldn't figure out how to edit my comment, so I had to delete it and re-enter it. If anyone knows how to edit, let me know.

Anonymous said...

They will have a blast! Do you need some ice cream later???? Ice cream always makes me feel better if i am feeling melancholy

Kearsmom said...

hmmm...ice cream does sound good. And there is no risk of sunburn if eaten inside or in the shade or in the dark!

Anonymous said...

Getting to be in the youth group with my daughter is one of the best blessings I got to experience. I, too, was lucky enough to have both of my children to accept the fact, even enjoy having their mom along for the ride! The only thing I didn't get to do was go on the Senior Trip, got to do the Junior part of the trip. Y'all are great parents and a blessing to the youth ministry at CHBC. Isn't it just FUN!
Teach 4 Ever