Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Of Catalogs and Books

My house is currently littered with catalogs and books. The catalogs are filled with more books. These are all school books. This is a phenomenon known only to homeschoolers. It has occurred to me that I am (I think) the only homeschooling person in this little blog circle-except for Dee. So I thought I would explain this phenomenon to the rest of you. It may be that no one is even interested...but anyway...

The whole textbook/catalog thing is a year round issue. Beginning in April, I started receiving in the mail catalogs for the 2007-2008 school year. There are thousands of options for everything from phonics to Latin, addition to algebra, and everything in between. I poured over these catalogs, making lists and deciding which books I would need for the new year. But that isn't all. There is a whole internet world full of more choices. Most amazingly, are the "Used Book" sites. The ultimate thrill is to find a "Like New" set for less than 1/2 the original cost. It is, at least in my house, a mission worth spending hours searching and comparing.

That leads to another phenomenon. The book "trade" At the end of the school year, and throughout the summer, I sort through all of our books for those that I no longer need. Many of these are the Teacher's Edition. Now, anyone who has ever purchased textbooks knows that the Teacher's Edition is the most expensive part. You have to pay extra for the answers. The quest begins to sell as many of these books as possible. So online I go to list my books and to wait for someone to come along and buy them. Then I can use that money to go and buy someone else's used books. This year I managed to purchase almost 1/2 of Kat's new stuff with money I made from selling old stuff. How cool is that??

And the ultimate payoff is when all that stuff begins arriving at my doorstep. This time of year is topped only by Christmas (when all those gifts I ordered start arriving). Books show up on my doorstep several times a week! Then I get to go through them and see all the cool stuff my kids will be learning. Right now, my house is filled with a mix of the new stuff that has already arrived, and the old stuff that still hasn't sold. Soon I will get tired of looking at it and will just take it somewhere to give away. But not before I try to sell it one more time. Anyone need a Forth Grade Reading book???

6 comments:

Junebug said...

I have NO interest in home schooling except where it pertains to those I love. I DO, however, enjoy buying, looking at, holding, smelling new books. I like lining them up on my shelf...largest to smallest. So I understand that part.

Also, I would think you should already know all the answers. You shouldn't have to buy the teacher's edition. I'm just sayin.

The Mom said...

have you ever sold on half.com? if you haven't you should try.

Kearsmom said...

Nope, Junebug. I need the answers. 'specially Math...started needing those about 4th grade. Besides, why should I have to think that hard??

Junebug said...

Yeah, I no like math so I would need the answers, too. Or Funandone. Pretty much the same thing.

Kearsmom said...

Yeah, even with the answers, sometimes I just end up saying, "I don't know, ask Daddy when he gets home."

Anonymous said...

I love new books for my kids too. But I am glad on some levels that they are going to school, no more arguing and a quite house. And I always need help with math. I will call when i need help with 4th grade this year.