Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ponderings

So, in spite of my attempts to avoid it, the push to end summer and get back to "real life" insists on forcing itself upon me. The last few days have confirmed it. No matter what I do, the world just goes right on...I realized the other day that Banana starts ballet this week. Beginning Wednesday afternoon, I'll be carting her back and forth to her multitude of classes again. It didn't occur to me before last week that dance class would follow the school schedule.

And then there's church...new year there too. Everyone has promoted, all the regular classes have started again, or will be soon (at least the Sunday night crowd understands my devotion to the true end of Summer-Labor Day). But it's all anyone is talking about...back to school, back to routine, early nights and early mornings, blah, blah, blah...

It leaves me wondering, as I do on occasion, exactly where I fit into this craziness. I have said out loud once or twice that I am not quite sure where I fit in. I don't adhere to the "school" school of thought, maybe it's the latent rebel in me. I don't know. But I just don't fit there, and sometimes feel very much the misfit because of it. But then, I really don't fit in the "other" camp either. Not really. At least, not that I can tell. I do know that my family is doing exactly what God has called us to do and I am completely happy and satisfied with that. I just sometimes feel like no one else (other than Kearsdad, of course) understands me. I hesitate to even put it into words, or maybe I don't know the words. Maybe there is someone out there that shares my point of view, but I haven't found them yet.

But anyway, today is one of those days when I'm left to ponder such things...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you fit in several camps. Homeschool is just as much school as any other. Just becasue timing may be different does not mean it does not fit. And well I hope on some level i understand you or our freindship would not be as it is. And who cares what anyone else thinks if your family is following what God has for you then that is all that is required. We are all Aliens right???? I do however agree that summer goes by way too quickly and I would postpone real life as much possible.

Junebug said...

Sorry for all my early nights and stuff like that. It's just the way it works in our family...what God has called us to do.

Also, I will never admit to understanding much of anything that goes on around me, not the least of which is how God allows us to be friends with people who live their lives in such different ways.

Do what you know is right for you family and don't let the other stuff get you down. I know...easier said than done sometimes. I live there, too, just with different reasons.

Kearsmom said...

Thanks SUG! I appreciate being understood.

And JB, no need to apologize, it's just life. It was just a general observation.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking...wondering what exactly my 'school' school of thought is.
I think I'm in the same boat as you. LOL


My kids have been asking if they can do school. I dont want to start yet! You cant make me! We just got off at the end of May. (I start 1st week of Sept and end around Memorial Day)


*pushing summer back just a tad more*

Unknown said...

Girl,

You stress way too much! If you are sure of your decisions and sure of your calling it is your responsibility NOT to worry what others do. Back in the day, when i would hear such an announcement I would inwardly grin with smug satisfaction that I was not a tied to the same calendar. I relished the freedom.

It is good practice for our living our Christianity out in public. God said that if we are living His way we won't fit in with the world. We should be comfortable with our misfit label. I know that it is difficult when our personal choices separate us even within the church. But the joy is that even if we choose different paths our job as brothers and sisters in Christ is to support and love each other. I know that you have great friends who do not home school their children. They may not be able to relate or understand the difficulty's that you run into but i have no doubt they love you and support your decision. That is the function of the "Body of Christ" - many gifts, one goal!

Junebug said...

Yep, Alicia is right. Although I don't subscribe to the same school of thought, I love you and support your decision...simply because I know you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't know for sure that it is God's plan for your family. And I know you do the same for me.

And I would relish a late morning every now and then!