Thursday, August 23, 2007

High School Football

I have always hated football. Never liked it on tv...not college, not professional. When I was in high school I hardly went to any of my school games. The college I went to didn't even have a team. That was just fine with me.

So why did I choose to go sit at a high school football game tonight, yelling and cheering and groaning for a team from a school that my children don't even attend? The answer...those boys I have come to love so much. Those teenage boys that Kearsdad and I have come to claim as our own. Talk about love. It amazes me how a handful of boys have changed my perspective on life and on the things I "enjoy".

God blessed Kearsdad and I with two beautiful, sweet girls. Neither of us ever felt the urge to "try for a boy". I have, truthfully, been very happy to be surrounded by pink and purple and Barbies and Polly Pockets. But in the last few years, God has brought these boys into our lives and I am so glad. They bring another dimension to our lives. Of course, they don't live here (not really, anyway)...they go home to their own parents. I don't have to pay for their food (okay, so that's not completely true...I do feed them alot), I don't have to pay for their cars or gas, or deal with the discipline issues (although we do put our two cents worth in when necessary). I get to enjoy all the fun without having to deal with the "parent stress" of teenage boys.

But I sure do love those guys. I am thankful for the chance to share in their lives. I truly enjoy watching them grow into the young men God wants them to be. They bring me to tears sometimes. They make me smile most of the time. So, even though they don't read this...DW, SM, DD...(and DMc, even though he's mostly grown) I love you and I am very proud of you.

Who knew football could be so much fun?

2 comments:

Debbie B said...

I understand those feelings. I am glad that you enjoyed the game and the boys who play it. :)

Anonymous said...

Football is awesome to me. I am glad you had fun. I love when God puts things or people in our lives to give us a different perspective.