Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The "Youngest" Syndrome

I talked with my sister-in-law today, and she made an interesting observation. We were talking about my twin nephews' birthday last week. They turned four, and we were both saying that it is hard to believe they are that old already. (That they are even here is a miracle in itself, but that is a story for another post.) Then she laughed and said she finds herself letting them get away with doing or not doing things because they are the youngest. She said that no matter who is the youngest (their sister Caroline, who is 6 was the youngest before they came along), she finds herself doing the same thing. I realized that I do too. I think it is something all parents do....look at that youngest child one day and think "When your sister was your age, she was already doing ______ by herself. Why am I doing it for you?"

I know with Banana, I underestimate her ability all the time. I think that she isn't ready or able to do something, then I'm surprised when she does it! Just yesterday, she completed an assignment in her science book that I expected to have to help her with. Now, just last year, Kat-who is only 14 months older-completed the same assignment and I thought nothing of it. Of course she should be able to do that. But Banana? I think I really underestimate her. I find her doing more and more on her own. Thinking for herself, solving her own problems. My baby is growing up.

Then again...yesterday we did school work in the morning, then left at lunch for my Monday staff meeting. On the way out the door, Banana had to run back to her room and slipped past me to the car, trying to hide something. Turns out she was hiding an article of "clothing" that she had forgotten to put on. She had also forgotten to brush her teeth. And make her bed. So, I see I still have a long way to go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love banana. She has such a great personality. And I am glad that she can hold her own.