Wednesday, July 4, 2007

But Mom, They're Just People

I have already shared about our fun-filled, work-filled week last week. But there was something more I wanted to add. On Monday and Tuesday evening, I took groups to Gateway, where we helped serve meals to homeless people. Kat had fun behind the counter seving. She and her group of 5 others had fun racing to see how quickly they could fill the plates. Banana helped me and a couple of college kids fill and distribute cups of water. Banana is my unusually shy child. She only talks to people she knows REALLY well. And she almost NEVER speaks in a crowd. To her, 4 is a crowd.

But Monday night, I watched her with new eyes. Time after time, she took a cup of water, walked to the serving line, and said loudly and clearly, "Here Sir (or Ma'am). Would you like some water?" This went on for all 90+ people we served. It was amazing. She treated these people with such honor and respect. I wonder when the last time was (if ever) that some of those people were referred to as Sir or Ma'am?

Later that night, I told her how proud I was of her. I told her that many people would have been intimidated in that situation. Her response? "But Mom, why should I be intimidated? They're just people. They just don't have a place to live." Oh my...

Kat was also very affected by the experience. She said she had no idea there were that many homeless people here. All last week, my heart was blessed to here them pray each night. Not the usual "Thank you for today and help us sleep good and bless Grandmama and Granddaddy." They prayed earnestly for the homeless people and for the children in the neighborhood who "only have one parent and whose parents work and they have to come home by themselves after school everyday and no one is at home." It was a blessed week and one filled with precious memories for this Mama.

4 comments:

BB said...

what a great lesson to learn so early in life. our kids don't really understand how blessed they are until they experience something like that.

you are a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Leave it to a kid to give us all some great perspective. She is such a blessing and you are a great mom for growing her up to be so sweet. And for giving them opportunities like that. I keep saying we are going to spend on major holiday one time in thier lives like that serving others.Changes your view point on things for sure!!

Junebug said...

It's overwhelming to see your child make a difference in the world. They are all becoming wonderful little people. Thanks for sharing Banana's unconditional heart of service.

I love that girl!

(all this in light of the antics of tonight's ballgame outing...ahahahah!)

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

o.k. as i sit here all teared up over your sweet girls, i thought i'd let you know! i hope that mary peyton has that type of compassion.