Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Temple-Part Two

This post has been edited for typos. I should learn to proof before I post

I am still thinking about the idea of the temple, and how we are to honor it. And I am still, of course, referring to the Christian as the temple of God.

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." 1 Cor. 3:16-17

"For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said, 'I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.' 'Therefore come out from them and be separate.' " 2 Cor. 6:16-17a

God is serious about this, and we should be as well. Even more, this is another one of those things we are to "impress on our children". How do we treat ourselves as God's temple? The issue of self esteem comes to mind. Self esteem is another one of those issues that our culture has taken and twisted, turning it into yet another way to put man above God.

Entire curricula have been written around this theme. Lessons on self esteem have taken their place alongside reading, spelling and history. There are shelves and shelves of books about self esteem in libraries and bookstores. If we were to believe these things, we would believe that we are the most important person in the world. Our children would believe that they are most important, and that their ideas, wants and dreams are of greatest importance? Aren't they?

I say no.

Yes, that is what I say. Do I want my children to think they aren't the most important person in the world? Do I want them to think that being the best at whatever they do is not the top priority? If I am seeking to disciple them in a Christlike life, then the answer to those question is yes.

"And he said, 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.' " Matt. 18:3-4

So, am I saying we should beat them down and tell them they are worthless? Of course not. It has already been established we (as believers) are the temple of the living God. We are created in the likeness of Him. He knew us before we took form in our mother's womb. He knit us together. He knit our children together. They are precious to him.

I believe the secret is teaching them to value themselves in relation to Him. It is all about perspective. Once we (and they) understand who He is, and who we are in relationship to Him, then we can appreciate our place, and our children can as well. They can begin to understand that they are His workmanship "created in Christ Jesus to do good works." ( Eph. 2:10). They can begin to strive to do their best, be their best, not for their own glory, but for His. "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." (Col. 3:17).

The idea, then, is for them to learn to honor themselves as God's temple. To be a temple worthy of the Lord.

No comments: