Sunday, April 17, 2011

Different

Therefore, come out from them and be separate. 2 Corinthians 6:17

As believers, we are called to be different. Separate from the world. Not separated, but distinct from the world. How does that look?

In our family, this began to take shape when our girls were very young. Our oldest was not yet 3 when we felt God call us to begin this homeschooling journey. We knew, with certainty, how Deuteronomy 6 was to happen in our house. We have learned along the way how it would look, and we are still learning. It isn't easy to intentionally impress God's law on their hearts.

But do you have to homeschool to obey Deuteronomy 6? I don't think so. Those of you who know me know that I am a very vocal, very committed advocate of homeschooling. I understand, though, that not everyone is called to homeschool, and not everyone who is called heeds that call. So does that preclude them, as parents, from the mandate of Deuteronomy 6? Absolutely not. I would suggest that carrying it out is harder, both from a time perspective and an environmental perspective. But I know godly parents who have successfully instilled God's Word in their children while their children were (are) involved in traditional schooling.

The verse above is one of the keys. Our children have to be taught that they are to be different. To teach it, though, we have to understand and embrace it ourselves. Being different generally doesn't come naturally. We have a tendency ourselves to want to be like everyone else. I am not sure where that desire comes from, but I believe it is part of our fallen nature. In Deuteronomy 17, God told the Israelites (through Moses) that they would seek a king like all the other nations around them. He knew this was their nature. He knows the same is true for us. Without the help of the Holy Spirit our natural desire is to be like the world.

So we have to come to an understanding that, in Christ, we are distinct. Our desires have to be conformed to His desires. It is no longer about the house or the car or the job. We often blame peer pressure for some of the battles our kids face. But more often, I believe, our children are looking to imitate us. If mom and dad are focused on the house and car and job, if they are focused on the neighborhood and the school district and the college choice, then doesn't it stand to reason that our children will be too? On the flip side, if mom and dad are focused-truly focused-on serving the Lord with all their heart, mind, and soul (and yes, even with their money and time) then perhaps our children will be as well.

I have always been okay with being different. But I will confess, as my children grow older, it is becoming more difficult. Not because my values are changing, but because the support from the outside is waning. It is a lonely place to be some days. But it is the right place. I know that the payoff is huge. As my children grow closer to adulthood, I am beginning to catch glimpses of the payoff and it is such an exciting place to be in life. My encouragement to other parents is to stand firm, and stand together. We need each other. It makes such a difference to know that there are other moms and dads fighting this fight with us. Don't be afraid to look different.

No comments: