Monday, April 11, 2011

Don't You Know?

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? 1 Corinthians 6:19

I have been struggling with this post for days. There is so much I want to say, and yet I have no idea how to say it all. This is essentially what prompted me to begin blogging again. God has put a burden in my heart like nothing I have felt in a long time. I think about it much of the day. I have prayed, I have talked, I have even shed tears over this thing.

Modesty is not even an accurate word, although that's what it centers around.

My heart is for my daughters' generation, and those to follow. My desire is to encourage other moms, especially younger moms, in the battle. And believe me, it is a battle. It is a battle for the hearts and minds, and yes bodies, of our children. The enemy wants them. The world would happily hand them to him.

Moms (and Dads) HAVE to get in the battle. It seems more and more people have just given up, or been lulled into believing that they can't do anything, or have fallen into the lie themselves. They don't even try anymore. I want to stand up and shout WAKE UP! There are parents out there giving their children up without a fight. There are some who are just giving them away.

Do our girls know what boys see when they look at them? Do they understand that any suggestion of sexuality is more than enough encouragement for a boy? Where are the moms and dads when their daughters leave the house? Why aren't they saying anything? Why aren't they fighting for their daughters? Why aren't they protecting them? Why aren't they protecting the eyes and the minds of the boys who will see them?

No, it is not easy. It isn't convenient. And, as I am learning, it is absolutely not popular. But it is vitally important. Their lives depend on it. Literally. I want my daughters to reach adulthood whole, healthy, safe, and pure. How could I want less? Christian parents, please, please, please...quit sleeping.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love this post and you are so right. Many, many Christian parents are turning a blind eye because it is easier or because they are so entrenched in it themselves that they don't even see it.

I hate being in church and seeing girls walk by with dresses so short they can't cross their legs or sit properly. Then, I see their mothers following in similar clothing.

It makes me very sad :(