Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seasons

When my girls were very little, babies really, I made a decision. I have a vivid memory of sitting in the rocking chair holding a fussy baby with another baby napping nearby. It had been a long morning, and I had gotten absolutely nothing productive done. At least nothing I considered productive before that day. But as I sat there rocking that baby, I changed my priorities and my definition of productivity. My decision that morning was essentially this: I decided that I would treasure every moment and every stage. I didn't want to spend my days wishing their lives (and mine) away...wishing for the next (better) stage. I never wanted to look back and wish I had spent more time or done things differently. I wanted to leave every stage knowing that I had done everything I could possibly do to live that stage to the fullest. A few years later, a sweet friend gave a name to my decision. Delana talked often of "seasons". There are seasons in our lives, and the trick is learning to fully live whatever season we find ourselves in, with no apologies and no regrets.

Understanding the concept of seasons has given me a great deal of freedom over the years. It helped me get through the toddler years, knowing that potty training wouldn't last forever. When we were dealing with allergies and sinus infections and nebulizers and chest x-rays, it made it easier knowing that I wouldn't be stuck at home with a sick little one forever. When we started school at home, I knew that it was a season in my life dedicated to teaching my children everything God want me to teach them, and that there would come a season when I could return to ladies Bible studies and lunches out. Understanding seasons has also often gotten me "off the hook" in a sense. I can say "no" without guilt. Right now, the season I am in is "mother to very busy teenagers, and high school homeschool teacher". That often means "No, I am sorry, but I just can't do that right now." You see, it's just a season, and I have learned that the seasons pass faster than you can imagine.

These days, I find myself wanting to cling to my season. The days are passing by too quickly. But I have to remind myself of that early promise...no wishing away, and no looking back with regret. God has been so faithful, and I can honestly say that every season has been better than the last. I know that there are wonderful seasons to come, and I don't want to enter them looking over my shoulder. I want to be able to fully enjoy the seasons to come. So excuse me for now if I am sometimes unavailable. I am treasuring today's season so that I won't miss out on tomorrow because of regret.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments: