Tuesday, August 12, 2008

End of Summer...sigh...

Like it or not...it's that time again. The end of summer-as-we-know-it. Unfortunately, the Mississippi weather won't get that memo for at least 6 more weeks. (Although, I must admit, I have really enjoyed these last couple of rainy, coolER, days.) Most kids have gone back to school, regular activities are gearing back up. Banana goes back to dance this week, so there goes my free time! (Yea, Andrea! Here we come!)

I've been slowly making my way through the school books and new lesson plans, and I'm actually beginning to get excited. See, I have nothing against starting school...it's just the ending of summer I hate. But I love school...love the books and all the supplies and the anticipation of what will be learned this year. Adding to my excitement is the shipment of new books that is on its way. It should be here later this week.

Just for fun, I thought I'd list some of what the girls will be studying this year. People often ask me where I get my school stuff from, if I use a "curriculum" per se. Actually, I use a hodge podge of things...

Banana:
6th grade math-Alpha Omega publishers, LifePac
Grammar-Daily Grams 6 plus supplements from Easy Grammar
Spelling-Christian Liberty Press, Building Spelling Skills
Reading-various books accompanied by study guides from Progeny Press
History-Heritage Studies from Bob Jones University Press
Science-Bob Jones University Press

Kat:
PreAlgebra-Alpha Omega, LifePac
Grammar-Daily Grams 8 plus supplements form Easy Grammar
Vocabulary/Pre-Latin-Vocabulary From Classical Roots
Literature-various books, poetry, classics accompanied by study guides from PP
History-World Studies from Bob Jones University Press
Civics/Government-The Land of Fair Play from Christian Liberty Press
Science-Life Science-Bob Jones University Press

Those are just the basics...but it gives you an idea of what a homeschool study schedule might look like...We start Monday the 18th. I'm going to enjoy these last few days of summer.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I have mixed feelings about school too.

I AM looking forward to the int class. It will be great! :)

Debbie B said...

I hope that you have a wonderful year with the girls!

Love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

hope school is going well !! looks like you got your work cut out for you:)

Wendy aka "Grits" said...

Have a great school year with your girls!