Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Overwhelming

I really need to get this blog up to date. And so much has happened recently, I have a lot I could post. But every time I think about it, I get overwhelmed. I don't know where to begin. It's basically all good stuff...but there's just so much of it.

A couple of months ago I posted a "schedule" of sorts. Well, I made it through all those things and we survived. May was one dance thing after another. June was pretty much a blur. And July is off to a full start, but not nearly as crazy as June was.

I never did blog anything about our mission trip. I have started to several times, but I just can't find the words I want. It was, I guess, overwhelming. The week went wonderfully. Everything came together. The adults who went were fantastic. The kids were great. The reason I love the middle school trip is that I love watching young kids get to know each other in an environment that is so different from their daily lives. I love watching them stretch themselves and do things they've never done before and discover new things about themselves. The kids worked SO hard. And I wasn't disappointed. I got a glimpse of great potential in some of these kids. But still, I just can't express all the emotion that went into that trip. As we loaded up to leave on that last day, I stood in the almost empty hallway and got a lump in my throat. Overwhelming. That was my word to describe this trip from the beginning to the end.

And while Kat and I were away, Kearsdad and Banana did wonderfully at home. Kearsdad managed all of his duties...working, getting Banana to and from dance, cooking...I was very impressed. I think they enjoyed their Daddy-Daugher week. Banana only had one "bun incident". Her teacher did her hair most days, but there was that one day when teacher wasn't there yet. A mom volunteered to do it. The bun lasted about half-way through Banana's first class. But other than that, the week was good.

If you look to the side of this page, you see my "Congrats" to Banana. She made Junior Alternate in the Company. I can't really explain what Junior Alternate is except that it is sort of like "understudy to Junior Company". Only two of the 12 apprentices moved up to Junior Alternate. She is looking forward to her new dance year, but enjoying her break for now.

July started with a quick trip to Dallas to see my parents. We spent July 4th in a relatively unpatriotic way (not by choice, but because that's just how it was). We went to the Galleria and the girls went ice skating. We ate dinner at Abuelo's, an wonderful Mexican restaurant. Then the girls went swimming at the pool in my parent's neighborhood. I have pictures that I will post soon. We made it home just in time to get Banana off to her mission trip. Sweet girl...she hasn't slept in her bed since last Wednesday...

And we leave Monday for camp. Early Monday. E.A.R.L.Y. Should be interesting. Definitely should be fun. The whole family is going. Much more to post soon. Unless camp is as overwhelming as mission trip was. I'll let you know.

Wow...that was a lot of typing.

2 comments:

Debbie B said...

Thanks for your update. I understand about not posting this summer. I hope camp is good!

Love you,
Debbie

Wendy aka "Grits" said...

Have a great time at camp!