Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Robins Eggs and Peeps

Spring brings out an interesting part of my personality. I don't normally eat candy. I really don't care much for chocolate (yes, I know that is weird). Halloween was never a big deal for me because I didn't eat most of the stuff I collected. Christmas candy is usually not very tempting...don't really care much for peppermint or candy canes. Even Valentine's Day is no biggie. In the past Kearsdad has bought me truffles from Godiva. But usually I tell him I'd rather have something else...dinner out, maybe some flowers or something. But definitely no big heart shaped box of chocolate. Nope.

But then spring rolls around and a metamorphosis takes place. Suddenly the stores are full of brightly colored sugary treats. Maybe it's because they are so pretty. Some are so cute. Those malted milk Robins Eggs! Yes, I realize they contain chocolate, but I love them anyway! And Peeps!!!! Chicks and bunnies in every pastel color imaginable! Traditional yellow chicks are my favorite. I know they all taste exactly alike, but I just prefer the yellow chicks.

Peeps are an oddity. People generally either love them or hate them. There are even instructions available for Peep abuse involving microwaves. I will confess, I have microwaved a Peep with Kat and Banana, at their request. It was interesting, but I felt so bad for the Peep. If nothing else it was a waste of an otherwise perfectly good Peep. And even more disturbing, we "roasted" one on the firepit last year. That was a little disappointing. It didn't blow up and melt like the microwave one. The outside sugar burned, but held it's shape for a really long time. And roasted ones don't taste yummy like roasted marshmallows...the sugar tastes icky.

Anyway, I am excited about all this easter candy. Not good at all for my diet. I guess I'll have to grab a handful of Robins Eggs and go for an extra long walk.

11 comments:

Kirsten said...

Eat a pink peep for me! :)

The Mom said...

i love peeps! it would not be spring without them. well, atleast that is my opinion. :-)

Junebug said...

Peeps are my favorite. And I will eat any color, chicks or bunnies.

However, I do love chocolate. It is kinda weird to me that you don't. I just don't know many people who don't like chocolate.

But it's okay cause you love Peeps. That's more important.

Anonymous said...

I know this is not allowed...but, I don't care for Peeps. I'm a chocolate gal myself--Godiva, Hershey's, Cadbury....not much I don't like. I'm not very discriminating when the chocolate mood hits. Anything will do!

Kearsmom said...

It's okay Sharpie that you don't like Peeps. You can have all my Hershey's Kisses and I will eat your Peeps.

And just for clarification, I like all colors of Peeps except orange. Orange is just weird. And I like bunnies or chicks. Yellow chicks are just my favorite.

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i LOVE peeps and have already eaten a few this year (and introduced mpb to them as well).

any kind will do.

and don't worry...we don't eat much chocolate at our house, either. tommy won't even eat red velvet cake because some recipes call for a teaspoon of cocoa and he swears he can taste it. his cake at our wedding was just white mix with red food coloring because there was nothing else to do! and you KNOW it was an ole miss cake!

Anonymous said...

EEk...Peeps, well not really. Give me a plan marshmello and it'll do, but not up for the sugary coating...I'm with Sharpie....CHOCOLATE..the richer and smoother the better. Love Godiva but no weird fillings...more of a nutty filling gal myself...see..you have me craving chocolate now!

Junebug said...

Techno, you had several chocolates in front of you this morning and only chose to eat one.

I, on the other hand, ate all of the several! And they were, at the very least, yummy!!

Junebug said...

You know there ain't no such thang as a laundry fairy, right?! I've spent many an hour summoning him/her to my own laundry room all to no avail.

However, I will leave room for mistake (I don't do that very often) and ask you to lemme know if you happen upon said laundry fairy. I've got piles just waiting...

Anonymous said...

sorry I am a weird one I don't like peeps. Not really a marshmallow girl either unless it is in a smore. CHOCOLATE ALL THE WAY!!!! any holiday any time that is what I love

BB said...

PEEPS are the best! but, like real colored chicks, any that are not yellow are not normal! i really love the white bunnies, too! the other weird-ity is finding ppeps at christmas or halloween. they just aren't the same at all!