Sunday, March 25, 2007

Passages




These days I find myself saying all those things that I used to be annoyed by. Things like, "Enjoy them, they grow up before you know it." I used to get so annoyed at people who said that. Not because I didn't enjoy my girls, but because of the implication that I didn't. "Of course I enjoy them, you dimwit! Why do you feel the need to tell me that?" Now I say it to people all the time. Why? Because now it is becoming a reality to me.

It seems like only a little while ago that we were experiencing our list of firsts...first loose tooth (lost it in a blueberry muffin-made JMatt so mad that she lost hers first), first sleepover, first time to big chuch (I still have that big blue button she wore on her dress). Suddenly, it has all flown by. I can think over all the stuff we've done in the intervening years, and it's all a blur. At the same time, bits and pieces stand out, frozen in time, clear as if they happened yesterday. Part of me wants to grab out at those pieces and hang onto them for dear life. Part of me wants to go back and do it again...then again, maybe not.

These days, I find myself with a new list. My list of lasts. Last GA glider day yesterday (of course the first one was last year!) Last children's day. Last children's choir (now Kingdom's Kids) performances. Actually, the list of lasts is almost as old as the list of firsts. Who can forget the last night in diapers, or the last bottle. It seems life is just a list of firsts and lasts, with lots of love and memories in between.

As sad as some of the lasts make me, I have to admit that I look forward to the ever growing lists of firsts. This new era of life that we are entering is exciting to me. Babies were precious and sweet. Toddlers were as cute as they could be. Preschoolers were happy and everything was so bright and exciting. These recent years have been, and still are, fun. I wouldn't trade any of those times. I'll admit, these preteen years aren't always a bed of roses. But I really enjoy those moments when my little girls are real people. When we can have intellegent conversations (yes, every once in a while we have one of those!). I love the fact that they know they can confide in me. I enjoy shopping with them, watching movies or American Idol with them, just hanging out with them. I am looking forward to adding to our lists of firsts. They are coming quickly!

8 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i understand... i can't tell you how many times i hear "enjoy her...she'll be gone before you can blink!". I KNOW!!! why do you think we have an album from each year she has been on this earth with 200 pictures in each - and that's not putting all of the ones that were taken in it! that's just the ones that i printed out!

i already know - and yet i don't - how quickly they grow. mpb will be 2 in less than 2 months. wow. each time i think about it, it blows my mind. but, like you, i'm looking forward to all of the fun firsts to come!

mmmmuuuuaaaahhhh!

The Mom said...

i can't believe how grown up the girls are, either! but, you are right, there so many new and fun things in the days to come. i know you will enjoy them!

talking about kids growing up...can you believe tori will be 1 in a week??!! and...johnathan will be 4 in august??!!

Junebug said...

I love how we have lists that intertwine. So many of the "firsts" and "lasts" for both my kids involve your kids. I love knowing they are growing up with each other in their lives. I never had much of that, growing up with a preacher daddy, you know.

First fight...bumble ball. First date...car at Friendship Park. First major-league-in-front-of-the-whole-world fit...swimming lessons whatever that year was. First sleepover...you know. Actually, that could be for all 4 kids...JMatt & Kat, Banana's milestone at LouLou's first sleepover bday party. Man, I could go on for days, huh?!

Anyway, yes, time is quickly passing. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy every moment...whether it be a "first," "last," or "somewhere in between."

Kearsmom said...

Yeah, Junebug. I love it too. I though of a lot of other first that I didn't list. And I love that you love it. I am looking forward to lots more firsts together!

BB said...

austin just got up for the fourth time to tell me he loves me, which, loosely translated means...if i get up and tell her i love her, she will be less likely to fuss at me than if i just said i don't want to go to bed yet!

having just read your blog, i decided to just let him sit beside me on the couch for a few minutes so i can tell him i love him back just a few more times.

Anonymous said...

makes me smile and shed a tear at the same time. Excited about what lies ahead...but pondering the past and storing those treasures in my heart. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me in on your blog! I loved reading it! Your girls are beautiful young ladies and I'm thankful my RGM has them to look up to-- she thinks they 're COOL!

Anonymous said...

Yes I totally understand, and feel the same way. I want so badly to "Quit turning around" as the unique one says but at the same time want to peek around the corner ans see what first is coming up. I am glad we get the privilege of sharing our lives firsts and lasts together.