Thursday, March 29, 2007

Is It Really Worth It???

Kearsdad is on a mission. He has decided that it is time for us (translate that ME) to stop picking up after the children who live in our house. He says that they are old enough to do for themselves and he intends to see that they do so. Not that I disagree. He is right. And I greatly appreciate his concern for me and for the proper development of our children. Tonight, he made me put something down that I was picking up and called the appropriate child to the room to do it instead.

But this mission has a price. After dinner, he decided that the children should help with the dishes. (Now, they do help set the table, they even help me cook sometimes, but he is ready to take it up a notch.) So, he called them back from wherever it is they disappear to after mealtime. (I think there is a cavern somewhere under the floor of their rooms where they disappear to whenever they should be doing something else. Kearsdad says he thinks "they just go hide under the crap on their floor") Anyway....he called them back and informed them that they would be rinsing the plates and cups, etc. and loading them into the dishwasher. Initially, this announcement was met with arguing over who would do the rinsing...both girls wanted the honor. They decided to split the task. After Kat did her two plates, she disappeared back to the cavern, leaving Banana to finish.

Banana diligently rinsed two plates and loudly loaded them into the dishwasher. Thankfully, nothing cracked or broke. Then she did the glasses. Then she was so excited about her newfound skill, that she decided to do the Corningware dish that the peas were in. She got a kick out of pouring the leftover peas into the disposal. But that's where it got messy. Mid-rinse, she decided to switch to another dish. She proceded to sling the dish--half full of water--to the counter, losing all the water on the way. She was now standing in a puddle. My pants were soaked from the knee down.

Was it worth a few rinsed dishes? I now had a floor to clean, and a pair of pants, plus 4 dish towels to add to the huge pile of laundry. Junebug is right. Their AIN'T no laundry fairy! But yes, it was worth it. Banana had such a happy attitude about helping. I am not under any delusions. I know that attitude probably won't last. But she had done so well up to that point.

It's kind of like teaching them to feed themselves. You end up with mashed sweet potatoes in the hair and nose and ears and on the clothes and floor. But they have to learn to do it. You just can't go around feeding a 10 year old. So you deal with the mess, enjoy it as much as you can, and get over the orange stains on the cute tee shirts. Kearsdad helped Banana clean up the floor, and I changed pants. They probably needed to be washed anyway. And all the dishes made it into the dishwasher in one piece.

8 comments:

Amy Layfield said...

I am so with you on this one! My dc are going to have to step it up a notch. I am tired of being their maid! :) You go girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Can I send my two over for Basic Training with Kearsdad? I do WAY too much for mine as well. I'm all about stepping it up a notch--but, we as parents have to do the work it takes to make this happen. It's usually easier just to pick the crap up myself!

B's Blog said...

I am also with the stepping it up a notch, however, when I do, I get poop in the underwear instead of the pull-ups. Ugh!

I also think that the hiding is born in all kids like sin nature. Soon as you need them they are gone.

If you learn any secrets of success, please share.

BB said...

i think it's easier to use paper plates and plastic forks. austin's great at throwing stuff away!

Junebug said...

I will send LouLou over. She is better than me at cleaning the kitchen, for real. Now, put JMatt in the mix and you get a whole lotta crap all over the place...makes for a sad night for all involved.

However, I figure if I don't keep pushing him, he will NEVAH get there.

In his defense, Funandone says JMatt is really good at edging and weedeating. Maybe there's some truth to the whole "woman's work" idea.

**I refuse to take any flack from anyone who may be reading this over that "woman's work" statement up there^.

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

wow...the things i have to look forward to...

mpb will "clean up" after herself when she's playing. she gets a little o.c.d. from both of us. but her daddy is the main one who can't stand a mess. go figure.

good thing he does the dishes, laundry, etc. who needs the laundry fairy when you've got a tommy-fairy! ha. don't tell him i said that!!!!!!!

The Mom said...

i laughed out loud when i read this! i even read it to the prof and he laughed out loud too!

wild man has started wanting to help load and unload the dishwasher..and i am with you...is it worth it?? but, i also agree that, yes it is. he needs to learn just like kat and banana.

and junebug...i think there are certain things that women naturally do better...does that mean they have to do all the time..i don't think so.

Anonymous said...

wow I so agree they SHOULD be doing it bu,t I have such a hard time getting past the extra work it requires me to do. So keep encouraging me and keep up the good work with two very well mannered and sweet girls.