Thursday, January 12, 2012

Yes, Lord.

I have been silent here for a while.  I can't really say why.  For a while, I thought I was just avoiding this blog, that maybe I didn't have anything worthwhile to share.  But I realized in the last few days that God has been working on me, and while He has been doing that  He needed me to be quiet.

Exciting things are happening though.  Some have expressed surprise that we have agreed to allow Kat to participate in a mission trip to Latvia over Spring Break.  Some are sure that we are doing it reluctantly, with anxiety.  Nothing is further from the truth.  Let me share why.


About four months ago, we were engaged in a conversation with Kat about school and her future options.  To be honest, she was experiencing a good bit of anxiety over the future.  We spent time explaining to her that there is no pressure on her to make decisions or plans at this point.  We reminded her that God has her future in His hands and that He will reveal those plans to her when He is ready.  Our instructions to her were to pray.  Nothing else.  And we committed  to pray for her as well. 


Beginning that night, my prayer for her was for God to give her a glimpse of His plan for her; not the whole picture, not a sweeping vista, just a glimpse.  I prayed that prayer every day for about a month.  In the meantime, I knew she was praying too.  I knew Jimmy was praying.  Sometimes we prayed that as a family, usually it was individually.  


Then one day, late in October, Jimmy called me.  He had been approached by a member of our staff (Kat's youth pastor). He was asked if we would prayerfully consider allowing Kat to participate in this mission trip.  Coincidence?  No, I don't think so.  Someone asked me the other day (tongue in cheek, of course) "Are you telling me that you think there is a connection between your prayers and the events in your life?"  Uh...yeah.  


So, you see, this was a no-brainer.  We pray for a month for God to reveal part of His will for our daughter's life, and He opens a door for her to go on mission with Him.  Why would I be worried?  Why would I be anxious?  I would be worried or anxious to say "no".  Frankly, I would be stupid to say "no".  I am so excited to see what God is going to do in Kat's life over the next few months, and especially during the week she is in Latvia.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to have prayed for her and to see those prayers answered in such a huge way.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to say "Yes, Lord" and to see my children do the same. 

No comments: