Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Confessions of a Political Junkie

Those who know me well know that I am a self-professed political junkie.  It is a malady I acquired early in life.  One of my earliest memories is of sitting on the floor in front of the television at my grandparents' house watching Nixon make that disgraceful walk from the White House to Marine One.  I was fascinated.  And I was hooked.  I was also slightly obsessed...eighteen years later I wrote my last paper of graduate school on Mr. Nixon. 

And so, I have eagerly entered this new political season.  I confess that I listen to the pundits on Fox News, watch the debates, pay attention to the polls, and wait for primary results.  It is, for me, similar to the way many of my friends experience football season.  Happily, I have a daughter who shares my fascination and gives me someone to talk to!

But my enthusiasm is tempered by one very important fact.  None of this really matters.  In the grand scheme of things, in light of eternity, in the face of the Creator, none of this matters at all.  Jesus could return at any moment and all of the world's systems will vanish in an instant.  The most important things I can be involved in are those things that have eternal value...things that grow the kingdom of God.  So why bother with politics?

Honestly, I have struggled with that question.  As of now, the best answers I can come up with are these.  First, I believe as a Christian citizen of this nation, I have a responsibility to participate in the political process both by praying and by voting.  Romans 8 makes it clear that God is interested in the governmental affairs of our world and that we are to be concerned for our leaders.  I have a responsibility to my family to do what I can to stand for the issues that will affect them and protect them. 

What God has been teaching me lately is that I can (and should) do these things, but that they should not consume me.  My trust is in the Lord, not my government.  I am also learning the fine art of keeping my mouth shut.  Few things make me want to spout off more than political "discussions".  My instinct, when I see or hear something that goes against "my" views, is to jump in the fray.  My flesh wants to engage in the debate and make my point.  But God is teaching me the value of a quiet spirit and a controlled tongue.  I can leave it to Him.  Don't get me wrong, it is not easy.  I have battled (and often lost) the rising blood pressure and the urge to "speak".  I am a work in progress.  I look forward to the next few months.  I hope to get to November and beyond as one who is pleasing to my Lord and one who has been a light to those around me. 

No comments: