Friday, January 13, 2012

Now Is The Only Time

I was reading in Matthew 9 this morning, and was struck at the intensity with which people approached Jesus. Reading through that passage, Jesus was approached constantly, one drastic need after the other. Everyone needing a great miracle from him. He was interrupted, even as he was on his way to raise a dead girl, to heal a woman. As someone who needs order and structure, as one who values solitude and quiet, I felt almost anxious as I read through those verses. How must Jesus have felt with those constant needs and interruptions? He always responded patiently. He never said or did anything to imply that he was bothered. Then it hit me. God exists outside of time. Jesus was never-is never-constrained by time. He had no agenda except this: to do the will of His Father. He never feels hurried. He never rushes. He is never late. And he only sees people and needs. Matthew says, "When He saw the crowds, He had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." I need to let go of my agenda and my schedule more often. I need to let go of my need for quiet. I certainly need more patience and compassion. I need to be more like Jesus.

No comments: