Wednesday, January 2, 2008

To Resolve Or Not to Resolve

On this day, January 2, 2008, I resolve NOT to make a New Year's Resolution. (I am making this non-resolution on January 2 because I was too darn tired on January 1 to even think.)

Anyway...no resolution from me. No "I will lose 20 pounds" (don't I wish) or "I will go to the gym 4 times a week" (HA) or "I will keep the grocery bill under $120 every week" (even bigger HA).

There is nothing wrong with any of them. Those are all lofty goals. But I just don't see the point in setting myself up. I've never really gotten the whole "resolution" concept. I understand the concept of "New Year...new goals"...but making a "resolution", and worse, publicizing it, seems a bit contrived. I do have some goals...primarily spiritual. Maybe a purist would call those resolutions. But I am just calling them goals...and they are between me and God. Sort of where I want to be in my relationship with Christ in 2008. I've been inspired to do that by Bro. John, and by my Boss (aka Student Pastor), and by a friend who issued a prayer challenge recently.

So don't ask me how the diet is coming (it's not) or how many times I've been to the gym (none yet...but I will go...). And most definitely don't ask me about the grocery bill. If we inherit anymore teenage or college age boys, we are going to go broke.

5 comments:

Junebug said...

Contrived is a great word.

Also, way to go. I like no resolutions. I will pray for you as your work toward your goals and would politely ask for you to do the same for me.

Love you!

(oops. I said also.)

Kearsmom said...

You know I always pray for you...and I will pray for your goals.

Love you too.

Debbie B said...

I want to lose weight and go to the gym, but I am NOT making that my New Year's resolution.

I hope this year is a blessed year for you and your family.

Blessings,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great entry!..and, well...I made goals for myself! But, I know I probably won't.... Well, you'll have to read my blog to find out! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree Goals are so much better. i will pray along with you about them. I really enjoyed our time together today we need to make that a regular thing. That was so refreshing to me and helped my mental state overall. Thanks U R Great!!!!!!!11 And good coffee too.