Monday, August 8, 2011

Aiming for Perfection

I just love how God's Word speaks truth into my life. I love that "aha moment" when something just jumps off the pages. I love that when I ask him to teach me something new, he does.

I was reading this morning in Ephesians and I came to this verse: "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:3

Make EVERY effort...that sounded pretty emphatic. Paul was serious about that, as my husband would say. So I began looking at other verses on unity. Using my big black Thompson Chain Reference, I started looking at verses on the exhortation to unity. I found the following:

"I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought." 1 Corinthians 1:10

Wow...that one jumped out even more than the first. "ALL of you should AGREE with one another in what you say and do...NO divisions...PERFECTLY UNITED in mind and thought." Paul leaves absolutely no wiggle room in that one! This verse completely takes away the argument that says we don't have to agree on every little thing when it comes to spiritual matters. There goes the whole "agree to disagree" idea.

Paul wasn't done..."Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11

Aim for PERFECTION. Wow...this gets harder and harder. Close enough doesn't cut it. Sometimes, sort-of, almost...nope. Perfection. 100 percent, completely, all the time. Good enough is not good enough when it comes to holiness.

The next one is one of my favorite verses: "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel..." Philippians 1:27

Whatever happens. No matter what. No excuses. Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy. The Church is to be united. The body is to be unified. Always, completely, perfectly.

I have been convicted in the last year or two that "comfortable, convenient Christianity" is not Christianity at all. Being a Christ follower requires everything. Salvation is simple, it is free; But living for Christ is hard work, and it is costly. It costs me my rights, my opinions, my wants, my preferences. Am I there yet? Absolutely not, I'm not even close. But I desire to be there. This is one of those areas God has shown me that I am going to have to let him work on...believers are commanded to do more than just "get along". He calls us to be united, aiming for perfection, and living in harmony as one body.

1 comment:

Debbie B said...

Insightful post. I like the Philippians verse you referenced, too.

We are striving for perfection. Where many Christians stumble is in not "renewing" their minds. They do not meditate upon the scriptures! Romans 12:2 speaks to this:

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

I so enjoy your thoughts!!!

Love and Hugs,
Debbie