Friday, July 29, 2011

Higher Expectations

Last week I had the privilege of participating in one of my favorite events of the year. I spent the week on mission with an awesome group of 7th and 8th grade students. This yearly event is traditionally a local mission trip. This one was the best ever for a number of reasons.

We served at a couple of local ministries, spent some time visiting some of our own senior adult church members, and serving at a church around the corner from our own, helping with their VBS. From beginning to end, I watched 12-14 year old kids act like mature believers and serve with their whole heart. It was, in part, a testimony to the ministries of our church...our kids are indeed well trained from a young age to serve the Lord and their community. It was also a testimony to their parents who have undoubtedly brought them up to love and serve the Lord.

I watched young men and women talk with and pray with homeless men and women, help them "shop" for clothes, search Scripture with them. I watched them kneel at the side of mentally challenged adults and help them with a craft or a puzzle or a song. I listened to them pray over an elderly, widowed church member. And I saw them lead children and preschoolers in crafts, music, and games at VBS. It was a whirlwind and it was a blessing.

Generally, when I plan this yearly trip, I make an effort to build in "down time". In the past, we have had our evenings completely free, and we have had long lunch breaks. This year, because of the variety of activities scheduled, our "down time" was essentially non-existent. Yet I never heard a word of complaint. Our kids never slacked off. They gave 100% early in the morning as they ministered at an inner-city mission, and they gave 100% as they sang VBS songs with young children in the evening. I was struck that most adults, myself included, can't say the same for ourselves. How many times do I complain of being tired, hot, worn out? How many times do I give less than my best to the Lord?

I came away with the revelation that we often set the bar way too low for our kids. We expect them to need "down time". We don't expect them to excel spiritually. We classify ministry as "adult" ministry vs. "kid" ministry. I saw last week that our youngest youth are capable of so much more...so much more than many adults. I left the week challenging their parents to raise their expectations for their kids...and to join their kids in ministry. I challenge you to do the same.

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel..." Philippians 1:27

No comments: