Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pecan Pie...World's Most Perfect Desert...

...according to Kearsdad.

It must really be Christmas. We just had pecan pie, still warm from the oven. It's one of Kearsdad's most favorite things in the world. He spent about 45 minutes cracking pecans for me this afternoon so that I could make it.

When we were in Georgia at Thanksgiving we spent one afternoon at Kearsdad's brother's. They have a pecan orchard adjacent to their house, and we picked up as many as we could take with us. I brought the box home, and this was the first thing I have made with them. It was yummy and warm and sticky...

Banana ate her first piece of pecan pie. Because she is allergic to peanuts, there are lots of other things she can't eat, and many things she won't eat. Processed nuts like pecans and almonds (which she isn't allergic to) are usually prepared with peanut oil, or on equipment that processes peanuts. That makes them "contaminated". So she has to avoid those things. At Mema's house, she got brave and tasted pecans, fresh from the tree, uncontaminated by peanut oil. She LOVED them. And she loved the pie she just had. So did I.

3 comments:

Carie said...

You are very lucky! We have a pecan tree in our backyard (as do most of our neighbors, our neighborhood is built on land that used to be a pecan orchard) but we go only a few pecans this year because back in the spring a late frost killed all the green pecans that were on the tree. I am so sad and so are all of my friends because every fall we have a "pecan pickin" party at our house. All of our friends come over, eat chili and they pick up all the pecans they can carry. This year we just had chili, no pecans!

southernutahgirl said...

I love pecan and have my dads famous pecan pie recipe which I LOVE!!! So anytime you need some more shellers to have them earn a piece of pie pleae call my fingers can SURe handleit:)

Junebug said...

I love pecan pie. Warm with ice cream on top. Funandone went a zillion years thinking he didn't like pecan pie...till one night early in our marriage at a Sunday School party at the church. He ate a bite just trying to be polite. Imagine his surprise!!! He loved it!