Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good Enough?

I have a question for my sisters...believers, moms, wives, friends.  Do you struggle with being "good enough"?  Do you find yourself measuring your worth according to another person's standards?  Surely I am not the only one.  Don't we all let the words and actions of other people raise and lower our well-being thermostat? I'm not asking if we should...of course we shouldn't.  But we do. I do. Don't you?

Why is that?  Why are we so connected to the opinion of others?  Why do we have that innate need for approval, need to be liked, need to be accepted?  And why, when one person withdraws their approval or acceptance, does it rock our world?  What are we looking for? 

The "right" answer might be that we are trying to fill that "God shaped hole".  But if we are believers, then hasn't that hole already been filled?  I say yes.  So what's with the need for approval?  I don't think I have an answer.  But I heard David Jeremiah say something last night that resonated with me.  He was preaching on loneliness.  He referenced the end of 2 Timothy, when Paul asked Timothy to "come quickly".  Paul was lonely.  Paul.  The world's greatest missionary.  The unstoppable, bold proclaimer of truth.The one who stood up against kings.  He was lonely.  Dr. Jeremiah said that his loneliness was not a sin.  He said that many of us hide our loneliness, or our insecurity, behind a false smile and spout "church answers" to others.  "Of course I am not lonely.  God says He is always with me."  "Of course I am secure, God is my security."  "Of course I'm good enough.  God says I am perfect and complete in Him."    All of those things are true.  I believe all of them.  But I don't always feel them.  I am pretty sure you don't either. 

So I guess what I am trying to say is that it's ok to experience those feelings.  But it's not ok to stay there.  Whether it is seeking out prayer support, or burying yourself in the Word, or moving on and getting outside of yourself to serve others (yes, all three), there comes a point where we just have to believe what we know, cling to what God's Word tells us, and trust that we can live bold, powerful lives for the Lord.  Because He is always with us.  He is our security.  We are perfect and complete in Him. 

What say you?

1 comment:

Debbie B said...

I say - great post!!! Yes, I struggle with this very thing. I have to constantly remind myself who I am in Christ Jesus. I believe that this is one area of attack that many Christians face.

Love you,
Debbie