Monday, May 9, 2011

Politics? Yes.

Last week's news about the killing of Usama bin Laden sparked a great deal of discussion and controversy, even among Christians. How do we deal with that kind of news when it comes to our kids? What about other news? Are politics and current events something we should discuss at home? Of course they are!

Now, I will admit, I am a political news junkie. I am "blessed" to have at least one daughter who shares my "passion", and so it is easy for the two of us to have these conversations. But my "less interested" daughter isn't off the hook. Why? Because I believe it is imperative that they have a grasp of what is going on in the world, how it fits into our belief structure, and what they can or should do about it. Otherwise, they are going to get that information somewhere else. My kids don't attend public or private school, but for those who do, they ARE going to hear this stuff. Much of it they are going to hear from their teachers. A good bit of it they are going to hear from their friends. They are going to read it online, hear it on the radio and on tv. Who do we want to help them form their ideas and beliefs?

I believe that it is vitally important for our children to understand our Biblical worldview and how it affects every aspect of our world. My husband and I had the opportunity last fall to participate in The Truth Project at our church. I would recommend this to any older teen and adult. Another great worldview source is Summit Ministries. I have been well acquainted with both of these organizations for years, and can attest that they are doctrinally sound. For parents with young children, educate yourself so that you can have appropriate conversations with your children.

Our conversations are some of my favorite times. Not every family may enjoy watching presidential debates or news conferences together. Two of us enjoy it more than the other two. But I really believe those kinds of things are important. How else are our kids going to know how to respond when a friend or a teacher challenges them? When they are confronted by a point of view that differs from ours, they need to know how to engage in the conversation, and feel secure in their understanding of events.

No comments: