Thursday, June 25, 2009

As I Remember Them



This is how Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett exist in my memory. Neither lived a life to be emulated. Actually, both were (and are) to be pitied. Sad lives, sad endings. But nevertheless, the images above are indelibly tied to my childhood and adolescence. Charlies Angels was a favorite. I remember going to my friend Liz's house, out in the "country" (actually, probably within Montgomery city limits, not urban at all) and we'd play Charlies Angels in the barn and pasture behind her house. We had walkie talkies and everything. We took turns being Jill (Farrah), even though I WAS the blonde and rightfully should have been Jill all the time.

I became aware of Michael Jackson a little later...a couple of years. My friend Tiffany and I played his "Off the Wall" album (a real album, you know) over and over. My favorites were "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" and "Rock With You". Classic Michael. A few years later, my friend Wendy became mildly (okay, madly) obsessed with Michael and "Thriller". I liked the earlier Michael better, but I heard my share of "Billy Jean".

Today, they are both gone. While I admired neither, I'm still a little nostalgic for the part they played in happy childhood memories.

1 comment:

Debbie B said...

Yep.... that's how I remember them, too. Michael was such an attractive young man before he had all of that surgery.

Sad lives......